News Post Backup Image

What Is Asbestos And Is It In My House?

Asbestos used to be regularly used in buildings for insulation, roofing, and flooring. Most people have heard of asbestos but may not know exactly what it is or why it’s so harmful. It’s a fibrous material that was made illegal for use in the UK in 1999. When materials containing asbestos breaks down, the dust particles are released and, if inhaled, can damage your lungs. 

Long-term exposure can cause a lung condition called asbestosis which can lead to mesothelioma (a form of cancer), lung cancer, or pleural disease. Unfortunately, there is no cure for asbestosis, however, there are effective treatments, including oxygen therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation, and inhalers. 

Although it is now illegal to use in construction, if your house was built between the 1970s and 1990s, there is a possibility your house may contain asbestos. Asbestos was used in many different building materials, including cement, building tiles, and bath panels. It’s extremely difficult to assess asbestos through sight alone and samples will need to be taken and tested. If you think you might have asbestos in your house, you must call in our team of experts so that we can arrange for a survey to be carried out and remove it if necessary.

What Can Asbestos Do To You?

It’s important to note that, although all types of asbestos are dangerous and can lead to cancers and other illnesses. However, if they are in good condition and left alone, they will generally not cause any problems. It’s important to note the repercussions of living with asbestos:

  • When renovating an attic, you risk disturbing asbestos materials.
  • If restoring an automobile, there is a chance asbestos might escape into the air.
  • Floor tiles being removed may result in the release of asbestos fibres.
  • Removing textured ceilings can leave you vulnerable to fibres passing through your dust mask.

Although it may seem like a good idea to remove it yourself, it’s always better to call a professional asbestos removal company that can ensure that the task is carried out safely.

How Do I Know If I Am Living In Asbestos?

The easiest way to know if you are living amongst asbestos is to find out when your house was constructed. If it was after 2000, then it is unlikely that asbestos was used as a construction material. Anything before 1999, the best thing to do is to call an asbestos removal company to conduct a test and remove it as needed. If you or a family member worked in building or construction from the 70s to the 90s, there is a chance you may have been exposed to asbestos. It can take between 15 and 30 years for symptoms of asbestosis to show. 

These symptoms include shortness of breath, persistent cough, wheezing, fatigue, pain in your shoulder or chest, and, in more severe cases, swollen fingertips. If you think you might have been exposed to asbestos and have been experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms, you should go to your GP surgery, so they can listen to your lungs and carry out CT and x-ray scans as needed. Always remember to never disturb any materials in your house that you’re unsure of the history of and, instead, get in touch with Croft Environmental to help.

Asbestos Removal

If after reading this blog you believe your house or property has asbestos that needs removing, get in touch with Croft Environmental today. Our team of experts will assess the risks and implement a safe and effective solution fast. Call us today on 0116 251 8050 or fill in an enquiry form on our contact page for more information.